NX Series appliances inspect all incoming and outgoing WAN traffic and store a local instance of information in an application independent data store. The local instance is transparently populated based on day-to-day usage, containing a subset of the enterprises working data set that is most relevant to each location.
The NX Series appliances examine all outbound WAN packets to see if a match exists in the local instance at the destination location. If a match exists, then the repetitive information is not sent across the WAN and instructions are sent to deliver the data locally. If the data has been modified, only the delta is transmitted across the WAN, maximizing bandwidth utilization and application performance.
Silver Peak NX Series appliances seamlessly fit into any enterprise network, sitting between network resources and the WAN infrastructure that is used to connect them to remote users. Deployment of the NX Series requires absolutely no client, server, or application reconfiguration.
Silver Peak offers the premier platform for Local Instance Networking, which includes the following technology components:
- Network Memory - the cornerstone of the Silver Peak solution. Network Memory uses advanced fingerprinting technology to inspect all WAN traffic and stores a local instance of information in an application independent data store at the appropriate enterprise location.
The local instance is transparently populated based on day-to-day usage, containing a subset of the enterprises working data set that is most relevant to each location. Each piece of information is stored only once per location, enabling Silver Peak appliances to hold weeks worth of data.
Network memory examines outbound packets to see if a match exists in the local instance at the destination location. If a match exists, then the repetitive information is not sent across the WAN and instructions are sent to deliver the data locally. If the data has been modified, only the delta is transmitted across the WAN, maximizing bandwidth utilization and application performance
Network Memory™ reduces the amount of information that is traversing a WAN by several orders of magnitude and enables information to be delivered with LAN-like performance, making it an extremely effective tool when delivering an application across a distributed enterprise.
- Compression: The Silver Peak solution supports advanced cross-flow payload and header compression. Cross-flow payload compression ensures that the transmission of data across the WAN is as efficient as possible by eliminating redundant information. Header compression significantly reduces the overhead inherent to flows of small packets, as is the case with Voice over IP.
- Quality of Service (QoS): Silver Peak NX Series appliances supports a variety of QoS techniques, including advanced queuing and scheduling, as well as per application policy based decision–making and application tagging. Silver Peak's advanced QoS capabilities enable enterprises to deploy and prioritize a wide variety of business critical applications, ensuring that each gets the network resources it needs.
- Latency and Loss Mitigation: The Silver Peak solution uses protocol acceleration techniques, such as window and transaction size adjustment to compensate for poor performance on high latency links. Moreover, the Silver Peak solution employs adaptive Forward Error Correction, which adds a small amount of redundant information to the payload so that errors can be easily corrected at the destination with minimal impact on performance. Silver Peak dynamically adjusts the FEC overhead in response to changing link conditions for maximum effectiveness in "lossy" environments
- Data Security: Silver Peak NX Series appliances protect all locally-stored and transmitted information from physical and network-level security breaches using the 128-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and IPsec tunneling. Data encryption is done in hardware on the NX Series appliances.
ORDER OF MAGNITUDE PERFORMANCE
|Remote Email Access|
Email w/5MB attachment sent to 20 branch employees
|30 sec per user||1-30s first user|
<1s the rest
|Remote File Access
Get 10MB Powerpoint file from HQ server
|60 sec||1-60s first user|
<1s the rest
|Web Based Applications
Load 1MB dynamic HTML page for a Sales Order
|Client Patch Distribution
Distribute 5MB patch to 60 clients in one office
|30 min total |
(30s first pass; <1s the rest)
Backup 1G files from 30 clients in one office (assumes 10% inc changes, 30% inter-client overlap)
|50 hrs total (30x100min)||2 hrs total|
Distribute 0.5Mbps streaming video to 50 clients
|25 Mbps||0.5 Mbps||50x|
AT A GLANCE
|Advanced 64-bit architecture||suited for Branch Office||Regional Hub, Small Data Center||Large Data Center|
|Local Data Store||1x250GB||2x250GB w/RAID||8x250GB w/RAID|
|Power Supplies||Single||2x Redundant||3x Redundant|
|AES Disk Encryption||Hardware||Hardware||Hardware|
|IPSec Traffic Encryption||Hardware||Hardware||Hardware|
|RAM||HW Error Correction||HW Error Correction||HW Error Correction|
|Ethernet Ports||4x 10/100/1000||4x 10/100/1000||4x 10/100/1000|
|Out-of-path Deployment||PBR, VRRP||PBR, VRRP||PBR, VRRP|
|Redundant Deployment||VRRP 1:1, N+1||VRRP 1:1, N+1||VRRP 1:1, N+1|
WHY SILVER PEAK?
Silver Peak Systems is delivering a new category of appliances that improve the way applications are delivered over the WAN; allowing IT departments to evolve (with no network disruption) their branch networks to meet the demands of new applications and / or reduce the cost of administering and maintaining existing applications. Essentially, Silver Peak Systems enables your WAN to perform like a LAN. Its solution enables IT to minimize "server sprawl", or actually centralize servers and gain huge cost savings from consolidation.
Silver Peak Systems delivers this with its Network Memory capability that stores data at the byte level and employs unique pattern-matching algorithms to recognize previously requested data. It transmits only changed data between locations. This capability delivers 20x to 40x type data reduction over the WAN. In addition Silver Peak Systems provides Advanced Compression, QOS, Latency / Loss mitigation and Security functionality. Silver Peak Systems appliances are built from the ground up for performance and scalability. It provides 0C3 bandwidth in one box (not a cluster) with all features turned on.
Key differences from existing solutions:
- Network centric approach with support for all applications
- Highly scalable asymmetric architecture
- Support for OC-3 data rate in a single box
- Integrated QoS
- Security compliance with SOX, HIPPA, and GLB
- AES 128-bit encrypted disks
- Optional IPSec encrypted tunnels
- Hot Swap RAID drives
- Redundant Power supplies
- Fail to wire
- Box to Box failover
- No configuration changes to clients or servers
- Robust central management system
- Advanced compression for TCP/UDP/RTP/IPIP